Sunday, October 11, 2009

#10 Elevators

On television, some really romantic moments happen in elevators. Mostly to doctors and lawyers who probably constitute the largest group of elevator professionals.

The most unique encounter I ever had in an elevator occurred in downtown Houston. I had delivered some documents to a law office and was waiting to board an elevator to go back down. When the door opened there was a very happy fellow with a cigar in his mouth.

I had to comment on his state of bliss. He handed me a cigar and said he was a new poppa. I congratulated him and asked about his baby’s statistics. He grinned and told me he had actually just donated a baby elephant to the zoo and he was not too sure how much he weighed!

At the Westin Galleria Hotel in Houston I once rode in an elevator with Henry Kissinger. There had recently been some publicity about his wife and I asked him if she had come to Houston with him. He thanked me for inquiring and stated that she had not come on the trip with him this time.

One week later I was on a trip to New York City with my family. We entered the elevator of the World Trade Center to go to the observation deck. When I turned around there was Mr. Kissinger again and this time he was with his wife Nancy. He remembered me and introduced me to his wife telling her I had inquired after her in Houston. He teased me about following him.

I still have the World Trade Center tickets. This is a bittersweet memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment